Unfortunately, packing for a move is not the greenest thing you can do for the planet. You can use blankets and reusable crates for some of your belongings, but to protect others you’ll still need cardboard boxes, newspaper and bubblewrap–all of which typically end up in the trash after a move.
The good news is that packing materials don’t have to be chucked when you’re done with them. There are lots of things you can do to reuse those items to benefit the members of your family, especially if those members include children and pets. Following are just a few fun ideas to help you make the most of those materials:
- Toys for kids – Children love to use cardboard boxes for games of make-believe. They can use the largest ones to make forts, medium-size ones to make cars or boats, and small ones to make helmets.
- Toys for pets – Dogs and especially cats also love cardboard boxes. You can tape together several boxes and cut holes in them to make tunnels that your animal pal can use to play hide and seek.
- Gift wrap for presents – Save the comics pages from the newspapers you used as padding for your boxes to use again as wrap for any gifts you give to your children.
- Bump protection for toddlers – If you have a toddler or small child that routinely bumps into furniture, corners or walls, consider taping some bubble wrap on those areas to protect them from injury.
- Lining for changing tables – You can also use bubble wrap to line a baby’s changing table. It’s soft, provides great insulation against a cold tabletop and is also disposable. You may even consider taking some along with you to use on changing tables in public restrooms.
When it comes to your actual belongings, you may find that using a storage facility may help you make a move more easily. The more items you put away before you move, the less you will have to carry with you. And if your new place is smaller than you had anticipated, a storage unit can help you reduce clutter.
Lone Star Self-Storage has units to fit every need and a safe, secure facility and a friendly staff that cares about our clients. Better still, our leases are month-to-month so there’s no long-term commitment. So when it’s time to get moving, contact us — we’ll be there for you!